CYPE Connect and StruBIM Steel are two tools developed by CYPE in the field of structural engineering. Using one or the other alternative depends on the capabilities of each tool and the users' needs. The main differences are as follows:
- CYPE Connect is a program focused on the modelling, analysis and documentation of connections, both for steel elements and timber elements.
- StruBIM Steel is a program that allows users to carry out detailing of steel structures based on a detailed model, including the documents of its components, and also allows them to model, analyse and document steel connections. This is possible thanks to the fact that these CYPE Connect features are integrated into StruBIM Steel via the "Connection" menu. This program also allows the export of the detailing of the steel structure in IFC EM.11 format for automated fabrication.
- The two programs allow users to import information from CYPECAD, CYPE 3D, IFC Uploader and StruBIM Uploader, so they can decide whether to subsequently use CYPE Connect or StruBIM Steel depending on their requirements using the Open BIM workflow via BIMserver.center.
- The two programs share the connection library, so any connections developed in CYPE Connect can be imported and exported from CYPE Connect to StruBIM Steel and vice versa.
- Therefore, CYPE Connect tries to adapt to the common needs of structural designers and structural engineers, while StruBIM Steel also offers options for steel fabrication companies.
A comparative summary of the capabilities of the two programs is shown below:
|CYPE Connect||StruBIM Steel|
|Modelling and analysis of steel connections||✓||✓|
|Modelling and analysis of timber connections||✓|
|Drawings of steel connections||✓||✓|
|Drawings of timber connections||✓|
|Drawings of parts and assemblies in the structure||✓|
|Exporting the detailing of the structure in IFC EM.11 format||✓|
|Importing information from CYPECAD, CYPE 3D, IFC Uploader and StruBIM Uploader||✓||✓|